Sunday, May 9, 2010

648KM E. REGION ROADS HANDED OVER (BACK PAGE, MAY 8, 2010)

SIX HUNDRED and forty-eight kilometres of feeder roads constructed in seven districts in the Eastern Region have been handed over to the government.
The road network, which forms part of the Feeder Roads Improvement Project (FRIP), primarily links farming communities in the Birim North, Birim South, East Akyem, Fanteakwa, Kwahu South, Kwahu North (Afram Plains) and Kwaebibirem districts.
They were constructed with funds from the European Development Fund.
Handing over the project at a colourful durbar of the chiefs and people from the beneficiary communities at Miaso in the Fanteakwa District, the Minister of Roads and Highways, Mr Joe Gidisu, said the successful implementation of the FRIP in the seven districts would go a long way in facilitating the transportation of foodstuffs and people within the area.
That, according to him, would help alleviate poverty, in line with the government’s agenda of making life worth living for all, especially in the rural areas.
He said the European Union (EU) had also collaborated with the sector ministry to improve the road network in cocoa-growing areas in the Western, Central, Ashanti and Brong Ahafo regions which had significantly enhanced the evacuation of cocoa beans to the ports.
Mr Gidisu said the EU had recommended that 10 million euros be allocated for the improvement of feeder roads and approved an additional 20 million euros for the construction of the Dodo Pepesu to Nkwanta road. Besides, he said, another 83 million euros had been approved for the construction of the Tarkwa- Bogoso-Ayamfuri road.
He described the EU as a reliable partner in Ghana’s development and expressed the government’s appreciation for its support over the years.
The Eastern Regional Minister, Mr Samuel Ofosu Ampofo, said apart from helping to improve on the road network in the region, the EU had also assisted in other rural development projects not only in the region but in other parts of the country.
Such projects, he said, cut across education, water and sanitation, markets, micro financing and capacity building for key personnel of the metropolitan, municipal and district assemblies.
He, however, appealed to the EU to help recondition the stretch of the road linking the Akyemansa District with the Ashanti Region and the road linking the Fanteakwa and the Kwahu East districts.
The Head of the EU Delegation to Ghana, Mr Claude Maerten, said the EU assistance to Ghana was to achieve equitable economic growth and accelerate poverty reduction in the country.
He expressed the hope that the Ministry of Roads and Highways would take good care of the roads.
Osabarima Awua Kotoko 11, Begorohene and Benkumhene of Akyem Abuakwa, who chaired the function, called on the EU to continue to help improve the road network in the area.
In appreciation of the efforts by the EU and the Ministry of Roads and Highways to improve the road network in the beneficiary districts, the chiefs of the area and the Eastern Regional Co-ordinating Council presented traditional stools and Kente cloths to Mr Maerten and Mr Gidisu.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

MEET-THE-PRESS ENCOUNTER HELD IN KOFORIDUA (PAGE 35, MAY 5, 2010)

THE first regional meet-the-press encounter has been held in Koforidua with the assurance that development programmes intended to reduce poverty in the Eastern Region are on course.
The Eastern Regional Minister, Mr Samuel Ofosu-Ampofo, who gave the assurance, said the region’s development programme would also ensure that all the communities had their fair share of social amenities.
He said the implementation of such development programmes was in fulfilment of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) government’s “Better Ghana” agenda for the people.
The event was attended by members of the regional press corps, who asked questions on various issues, as well as technocrats, including heads of department in the region, some of whom assisted the regional minister, his deputy, Baba Jamal Mohamed Ahmed and the Information Minister, Mr John Tia Akologo, to answer questions.
Also present was the Deputy Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, Mr Elvis Afriyie Ankrah.
In a three-hour presentation contained in a 28-page document covering all aspects of the region’s development, the successes and challenges, Mr Ofosu-Ampofo said on the whole a lot had been achieved.
He added that by 2012, the people in all the communities might have been provided with the needed social amenities to improve their lot.
Mr Ofosu-Ampofo covered areas such as education, health, security, agriculture, tourism, the transport sector, especially the construction and rehabilitation of roads, and general infrastructural development.
With regard to education, he said 51 new schools would be built in the region and that provisions were being made to cater for additional students as a result of the extension of the duration of the senior high school system from three to four years.
The regional minister said the government’s initiatives such as the Capitation grant, free meals and school uniforms for schoolchildren in very deprived areas had led to increase in enrolment, especially at the basic level.
On health, he said although the region had only 107 doctors with the doctor-patient ratio of 1:22,300 and nurse-patient ration of 1:1,000, a lot had been achieved in that sector.
Mr Ofosu-Ampofo mentioned the reduction in maternal mortality from 250 per 100,000 live births in 2008 to 152 per 100,000 live births in 2009 and antenatal service coverage by 95 per cent as some of the achievements.
Additionally, he said a number of health facilities had either been provided or renovated and refurbished by the government with the support of the Government of Korea and some non-governmental organisations.
The health insurance scheme in the region, the regional minister stated, had also gained grounds with 1,636,662 people having been registered, constituting 75.67 per cent of the population in the region.
He, however, mentioned a number of challenges in the health sector such as HIV whose prevalent rate had remained at 4.2 per cent since 2007 and the recent cases of HINI at the Okuapeman Senior High School.
Mr Ofosu-Ampofo said the Regional Co-ordinating Council had taken the necessary measures to address the problems.
On roads, he said although it had also witnessed significant improvement, motor accidents had been on the rise, especially on the Eastern Region stretch of the Accra-Kumasi Highway and the Aburi-Mamfe Road.
He, however, stated that his outfit in collaboration with the Motor Traffic Unit of the Ghana Police Service and the Road Safety Committee were doing the best to curtail the accidents.
With regard to security, he said although the area had been generally peaceful, chieftancy disputes, activities of nomadic Fulani herdsmen who sometimes raped women on farms that had been destroyed by their animals, illegal gold and diamond mining often referred to as “galamsey” and illegal chainsaw operations had led to the death of people.
Mr Ofosu-Ampofo expressed the hope that continuous raids by the law-enforcing agencies would address such unlawful acts.
He solicited support from traditional rulers and land owners to deal with the challenges.
Mr Ofosu-Ampofo stated that other criminal activities such as murder, robbery, rape and defilement as well as dealings in narcotic drugs had reduced significantly from 2008.
He expressed the hope that the security agencies would continue to live up to expectation to bring such cases to the barest minimum.
The regional minister also spoke extensively on agriculture, saying that a total of 176,531 farmers had been technologically assisted to boost production of various food crops while 125,000 cocoa farmers had also had their farms sprayed free of charge.
He added that the initiative had led to increase in cocoa production.
Large scale privately owned farms such as the Kwanin Farms in the Kwahu North District (Afram Plains), he stated were also being assisted by the government to produce more food for export and home consumption.
The regional minister stated that the region had a lot of tourist facilities such as the Boti Falls at Huhunya, the Volta Lake, the Oda big tree supposed to be the biggest in West Africa, the Tetteh Quarshie Cocoa Farm at Mampong-Akuapem, the Craft Village at Aburi as well as numerous annual events such as traditional festivals and the newly introduced paragliding festival on the Kwahu Mountains.
He said since such facilities had continued to attract tourists to the region, his administration would offer the necessary assistance to develop them to earn more foreign exchange for the development of the area.

ZOOMLION SPRAYS OKUAPEMAN SCHOOL IPAGE 35, MAY 5, 2010)

ZOOMLION Ghana Limited, a waste management company, in collaboration with the Akuapem North District Assembly at the weekend fumigated the Okuapemman Senior High School (SHS) at Akropong-Akuapem against the HINI influenza.
Six girls of the school last month contracted the disease forcing the school to go for its second term holidays earlier than expected.
Workers of Zoomlion, led by its Eastern Regional Vector Control Officer, Mr Johannes Obeng Danso, concentrated more on the girls’ dormitory, the bath houses, places of convenience and the classrooms.
According to Mr Danso, apart from preventing the influenza, the fumigation would also get rid of harmful insects, especially in the dormitories.
The Headmaster of the school, Mr Felix Essah-Hienno, together with the District Chief Executive for Akuapem North, Mr George Opare Addo, witnessed the fumigation.
Mr Essah-Hienno said the safety of the students, who would be coming back to the school this week for the beginning of the third term, had been assured.
He thanked Zoomlion and the Akuapem North District Assembly for their intervention in controlling the influenza.
Mr Addo said the assembly was also assisting Zoomlion to fumigate the other SHSs in the district to prevent the influenza from spreading to those schools.

Monday, May 3, 2010

NDC FOOT SOLDIERS' ACTIONS CONDEMNED (PAGE 14, MAY 3, 2010)

THE EASTERN Regional Organiser of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Mr Bismark Tawiah Boateng, has condemned the confrontational actions of so-called foot soldiers of the party for the removal of regional ministers and municipal/district chief executives.
He also expressed his displeasure with the foot soldiers’ use of force to take over toilets, toll booths and offices of the National Health Insurance Scheme in the country.
According to him, such a confrontational approach, if not stopped, would one day lead to a broadcast by the foot soldiers that they had dismissed President John Evans Atta Mills from office.
In a strongly worded statement issued in Koforidua Mr Boateng said the confrontational approach of the foot soldiers had the backing of some high-ranking members of the party and that it would impact negatively on the party’s campaign towards the 2012 elections.
“We know for a fact that the so-called foot soldiers have the backing of some high-ranking members of the party and the earlier they desist from their nefarious activities, the better it will be for the party. They must also know that in their bid to encourage the foot soldiers to wage war against their own party, they are buying weapons for our opponents whose nozzles will surely be turned on us in the 2012 campaign,” he stated.
The regional organiser said it had taken years to build the NDC into a formidable political force and that it was easier to destroy or demolish it, adding that the party could not be rebuilt within the period left for the 2012 elections if it was destroyed.
According to him, since the so-called foot soldiers were not aware of the operating document or the NDC Constitution, and since the country’s constitution frowned on negative activities by any association or individual, such confrontational actions must be stopped forthwith.
“It is nauseating to hear foot soldiers forcibly taking over toilets, NHIS offices, toll booths and agitating for the removal of regional and municipal/district chief executives,” he said.
Mr Boateng stated that the action of the foot soldiers in forcibly taking over the Adomi Bridge Toll Booth had generated a lot of friction among the Asuogyaman District Assembly, the district security command and the mandated toll collectors and blamed some of the co-ordinators of the National Disaster Management Organisation and the National Youth Employment Programme for such unfortunate incidents.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

GH¢50,000 ELECTRIC CABLES STOLEN (PAGE 35, APRIL 29, 2010)

THIEVES recently removed the electric copper cables along the Tafo-Bunso stretch of the main Koforidua-Nkawkaw transmission line in the Eastern Region.
The copper cables can be used in the manufacture of all sorts of jewels and it will cost the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) GH¢50,000 to replace the copper cables with cables made of aluminium.
The theft, which occurred between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m., plunged a number of towns in the Abuakwa East Municipality and the Atiwa District such as Bunso, Osino, Anyinam, Kwabeng and numerous communities into total darkness.
Engineers of the ECG drawn from various districts in the region under the direct supervision of the Eastern Regional Director, Mr Kobina Arthur-Forson have, however, worked around the clock to replace the copper cables with aluminium cables to restore power supply to affected towns and villages.
According to Mr Arthur-Forson, the total cost for the replacement of the cables together with others stolen in the area this month amounted to GH¢50,000.
He said cable thefts in the region, especially along the main Koforidua-Nkawkaw transmission lines had been on the ascendancy, adding that apart from its replacement putting a severe financial strain on the ECG, households and businesses in affected areas also suffered from such criminal acts.
Mr Arthur-Forson, who did not rule out the involvement of expert hands within the ECG and others from electrical contracting firms, visited some of the communities within the area to solicit support for the arrest of the culprits.
“The electric cables are national assets so every person should be on the lookout to apprehend the culprits,” the regional director stated.
At Ettokrom near Bunso, the chief, Nana Kwame Asiedu, said his people nearly arrested some of the culprits who had gathered within the precincts of the town a few days earlier.
He said a task force had been formed to support the community police to apprehend the culprits.
Nana Ago II, the Queen of Nsutam, whose community was also affected, said the disruption of power supply due to the cutting of the cables had negatively affected the socio-economic activities of the town.
She said the traditional authority was supporting the youth in the area to apprehend the culprits.

NEW BOARD FO SUHU GOVT HOSPITAL (PAGE 36, APRIL 29, 2010)

A 21-MEMBER advisory board for the Suhum Government Hospital has been inaugurated at Suhum.
The board, which is made up of a traditional ruler, medical doctors and administrators, security personnel, a business executive and others drawn from the area, will elect its executives on May 13, this year.
Addressing the board, the Eastern Regional Director of the Ghana Health Service, Dr Erasmus Agongo, said since the health sector was facing many challenges which could not entirely be addressed by the government, it was the responsibility of the board to see how best to resolve some of the problems.
He urged the members to, at all times, take into consideration the welfare of patients and people in the catchment area of the hospital.
According to him, that would go a long way in ensuring quality healthcare delivery at the hospital.
Earlier, the Medical Superintendent of the hospital, Dr Emmanuel Tetteh Ashong, had enumerated the challenges facing the hospital, including the lack of a fence wall to ward off intruders, congestion at the wards and the inability of the National Health Insurance Authority to regularly service bills which had accumulated to GH¢60,000.
He said the hospital, which catered for numerous motor accident victims on the Nsawam-Nkawkaw stretch of the main Accra-Kumasi Highway, had also not got an accident centre.
Dr Ashong expressed the hope that the board would act expeditiously to address those problems to enable the hospital to continue to deliver quality services to patients.
Members of the board toured the various wards and departments of the hospital and assured the management that they would do their best to improve the infrastructure and other services at the facility.

UPPER MANYA KICKS AGAINST COMMON FUND DEDUCTIONS (PAGE 14, APRIL 30, 2010)

The Upper Manya District Assembly has kicked against deductions from their share of the Common Fund which, according to the assembly members, had impacted negatively on the district.
At the sitting of the Assembly at Asesewa last week, the assembly members expressed disgust at the deduction of GH¢15,000 per quarterly allocation which, they said, was being used to render services outside the district.
The members who could not, however, indicate the specific services the deduction was being used for, called on the Administrator of the fund to stop the deduction to enable the district to have more funds for its development.
The assembly arrived at the consensus after the Presiding Member told the House that GH¢15,000 was being deducted from the district’s share of the Common Fund every quarter.
He said although the assembly had no problem with the deduction, whatever amount was deducted must be used in the interest of the people in the communities within the district.
The District Chief Executive, Mr Joseph Tetteh Angmor, who later addressed the Assembly, said a number of projects currently under construction would soon be completed.
These included a GH¢42,465.83 slaughter house at Asesewa, a GH¢15,394.50 six-unit classroom block equipped with an office, store, library and urinal, an x-ray for the Asesewa Government Hospital at a cost of GH¢44,886.60, drilling of eight boreholes at Sekesua, Anyaboni and Mensa Dawa costing GH¢56,000.00, a GH¢33,574.00 clinic at Ternguanya as well as the Asesewa lorry park.
He also told the Assembly that Plan Ghana, a non-governmental organisation, would be constructing 10 boreholes for 10 deprived communities in the area, namely Akatebuor, Oditsanse, Apimsu, Asuomanya, Korlieteh, Terkorase, Brepaw Kpiti, Mensah Dawa, Batorkope and Akateng.
With regard to roads, Mr Angmor said the construction of the Asesewa-Adwensu and Asesewa-Akrusu road had been completed while work on the Bisa Junction-Akrusu Road was in progress, adding that the Konkoney-Akumersu-Sekesua Road and the Sekesua-Osonson, Nsutapong-Ternguany roads would soon be tackled.
Dwelling on the Youth Employment Programme in the district, he said new modules such as dressmaking, mobile phone repair, police, fire and prison services as well as agriculture had been added to the scheme to enable more people to generate income for their livelihood in line with the government initiative.
The DCE ,who elaborated on other aspects of the district’s development programme, called on the assembly members for support.