Thursday, February 28, 2008

GH¢2,000 REWARD FOR INFORMATION ON SUHUM DEATHS (PAGE 49)

Story: A. Kofoya-Tetteh, Koforidua

THE Eastern Regional Co-ordinating Council (RCC) and the Suhum District Assembly have jointly made available GH¢2,000 to reward any person with information that will lead to the arrest of those behind the mysterious killings in Suhum.
Suhum, capital of the Suhum District in the Eastern Region, has, for the past 14 months, witnessed about 10 mysterious deaths, with most of the victims having their heads smashed with either cement blocks or flower pots.
The Eastern Regional Minister, Mr Kwadwo Afram Asiedu, who announced the package at a meeting with the chiefs and people of Suhum and security chiefs in the district on Monday, said the RCC had put in place adequate measures to arrest the culprits.
Mr Asiedu did not reveal the nature of the measures but indicated that all depended on the co-operation of the public who, he said, should volunteer information on the issue to the police.
He also called on the District Chief Executive (DCE), Mr Michael Kofi Mensah, and the Member of Parliament for the area, Mr Opare Ansah, who is also the Deputy Minister of Communications, to co-operate to effectively deal with the issue.
Mr Opare Ansah said the government had taken the issue seriously and that efforts were being made to unravel the mystery surrounding the killings.
The Chief of Suhum, Osabarima Aye Kofi I, expressed his satisfaction with efforts being made by the regional minister and the security agencies in tackling the issue and called on the public to co-operate with the police to bring the killers to book.
Earlier, the Deputy Eastern Regional Police Commander, ACP Ampah Benin, had told the gathering that 39 policemen from Suhum and Koforidua and an additional 31 from Accra were currently in the Suhum township patrolling and conducting investigations into the killings.
Most of the people who spoke at the function expressed their readiness to assist the police, saying the police should also intensify their activities in apprehending the criminals.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

NGO DONATES TO ISLAMIC SCHOOLS (PAGE 20)

STORY: A. Kofoya-Tetteh, Koforidua

MUSLIM Development Organisation (MDO), a non-governmental organisation (NGO), dedicated to the education of children of Muslims in Suhum and its environs, working in collaboration with the World Bank, has donated educational materials to six Islamic junior high and primary schools in the area.
The items, including exercise books and pens, were given to the pupils of Suhum Islamic Junior High School, Anum Apapam Islamic Junior High School, Akorabo Islamic Primary, Nankese Islamic Primary, Kuano Islamic Primary and Kraboanta Junction Islamic Primary Schools.
Presenting the items to the heads of the beneficiary schools at Suhum at the weekend, the Project Director of MDO, Mr Haruna Abedi, advised Muslim parents to send their children to school.
He said it was rather unfortunate that most Muslim children, especially those in the Zongo communities, could not be educated due to poverty and ignorance and, therefore, appealed to parents to invest in the education of their children.
The Suhum District Director of Education, Miss Augustina Manko Aboagye, who received the items, expressed her appreciation to the donors of the educational materials and advised heads of the beneficiary schools to ensure their judicious use by their pupils.
The Headteacher of Suhum Islamic Junior High School, Mr Ibrahim Samed, on behalf of his colleagues, expressed his appreciation to the donors.
He said the gift had been made available at the right time since most of the parents could not easily afford such items.

REGIONAL MINISTER VISITS 85 INSTITUTIONS (PAGE 20)

Story: A. Kofoya-Tetteh, Koforidua

TO ensure the proper functioning of all the sectors of the national economy and good governance in the Eastern Region, the Regional Minister, Mr Kwadwo Afram Asiedu, has, within three months, visited 85 institutions in the area.
A statement issued by the Public Relations Department of the Regional Co-ordinating Council, stated that the visits were to help the regional minister acquaint himself with problems faced by such institutions and see how best to resolve them.
Among the places he visited were the ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) and others such as the Ghana Broadcasting Corporation, Statistical Service, Ghana Immigration Service, the Ghana Police Service, Intravenous Infusions Limited, producers of pharmaceutical products, Ghana Cocoa Board (COCOBOD), the Internal Revenue Service, the Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT), Ministry of Trade, Industry and President’s Special Initiative (PSI) and the Regional Hospital, all in Koforidua.
The others were Driver, Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA), the Electoral Commission, Ghana Highway Authority, GRATIS Foundation, Department of Feeder Roads, Attorney-General’s Office, all in Koforidua, Lagray Chemical Factory at Nsawam and the Pinora Fruit Processing Factory at Asamankese.
He also paid courtesy calls on the paramount chiefs of New Juaben, Yilo Krobo, Manya Krobo, Akyem Bosome, Akuapem, Boso-Gua, Anum and Kwahu.
The regional minister, who assumed office in August, last year, stated at the various MDAs and other government institutions that it was necessary for him to be at such places to interact with the staff to ensure proper supervision, co-ordination and monitoring.
All heads of department, he said, would be required to submit briefs on their activities, specifying their challenges and requests for onward transmission to the responsible ministries and mother institutions for the necessary action.
During his rounds, which he termed as a working visit, most of the workers expressed their delight at the visit, and commended the minister for his trail-brazing undertaking.
They added that no minister had had such encounters with both junior and senior employees in recent years.
At the Koforidua Regional Hospital, Mr Afram Asiedu was conducted round the facility by the acting Director of the hospital, Dr Appiah Kusi.
The regional minister praised the doctors and other health workers for their immense contribution to the health sector, and urged them to continue to stay at post, instead of going for greener pastures abroad.
He promised to liaise with the Ministry of Health to ensure prompt reimbursement of health insurance fees, provision of security at the Medical Village and the tarring of the road leading to the hospital’s car park.

ARTISANS AWARDED NVTI CERTICATES (PAGE 20)

Story: A. Kofoya-Tetteh

FIFTY-TWO artisans, made up of carpenters, masons, auto-mechanics and others from different vocations in the West Akyem District capital, Asamankese, who were examined in their various trades, had been presented with National Vocational Training Institute (NVTI) certificates.
The initiative, which was carried out with financial support from the Rural Enterprise Project (REP), was to update the skills of the artisans to properly place them on the job market.
Addressing the ceremony at Asamankese at the weekend, the West Akyem District Chief Executive (DCE), Mr Kwabena Sintim Aboagye, said the government, in its effort to develop the human resource base of the country, was carrying out numerous programmes aimed at building the capacities of the people to improve their living conditions.
He said they included the construction of a rural technology workshop in the district, of which the West Assembly District Assembly made available GH¢3,750 for its connection to the national grid in order to get electricity supply to train artisans.
Mr Sintim Aboagye said the government was also paying part of the training cost, adding that the assembly was considering assisting the trainee artisans to secure funds after their training to establish their own businesses.
He stated that GH¢2,000 had already been made provided to support 30 apprentices who had graduated.
The DCE advised the artisans to be serious with their work, since it was only their hard work that would attract the government or any financial institution to assist them with funds for their activities.
The Eastern Regional Co-ordinator of the NVTI, Mr Samuel Kwasi Ofosu, who took the participants through the rudiments of the job, deplored the situation where artisans were often placed on the lowest grades at the workplace, although they normally did most of the work.
He advised them to acquire NVTI certificates that would reverse that trend.
The Rural Enterprise Project Manager, Mr Roosevelt Agbodzo, said his outfit would continue to upgrade their skills, and asked them to take full advantage of the initiative.
The West Akyem District Director of the NCCE, Mr Adu Amankwa, asked the artisans to drum home the benefits of their training to attract more tradesmen into the programme.
In another development, a 13-member committee, under the chairmanship of the DCE, Mr Sintim Aboagye, set up to find a solution to the poor performance of pupils of some basic schools in the area at the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE), has started work.
At its maiden sitting at Asamankese at the weekend, the committee identified some of the factors resulting in the poor performance of the pupils as absenteeism on the part of teachers, inadequate parental care leading to pupils not attending classes, and inadequate classrooms and educational materials.
It would be recalled that all the pupils in 10 junior high schools in the district, namely Adu Kofi Local Authority (L/A), Domeabra L/A, Domeabra Islamic, Akanteng L/A, Kobriso L/A, Topease Methodist ‘A’, Asikasu Roman Catholic, Kantanyensua L/A, Nyankomase Zion and Mepom Takorase L/A, who last sat for the BECE, failed.

KWABENG BARES TEETHAT X'TRA GOLD (PAGE 20)

Story: A. Kofoya-Tetteh, Kwabeng

KWABENG, the capital of the Atiwa District, which was created out of the vast East Akyem District in the Eastern Region about three years, is noted for two main economic activities—farming and surface gold mining.
Being predominantly rural, Kwabeng has most of its inhabitants being farmers cultivating cocoa, oil palm, citrus and varieties of food crops on small holdings, which make it difficult for the people to earn appreciable income for their livelihood.
It is for this reason that the discovery of gold within the precincts of the town in the early 1990s is considered a blessing for the people of the town, which is now fast developing; it now has a number of social amenities such as schools, most of which have been provided by the district assembly.
However, the joy of the people, who in the past 18 years, had thought that the gold mining companies would provide some of their basic needs such as good drinking water, in line with the companies’ social responsibility, could not materialise.
Despite the failure of the companies to provide some of the needed amenities, particularly water, the people continued to co-operate with the companies until X’tra Gold came to the scene about two years ago.
X’tra Gold, as expected, quickly offered to provide the town with a modern clinic, in line with its social responsibility which was readily accepted by the people who therefore, decided to play ball with the company.
Besides the failure of X’tra Gold to honour its promise of providing a clinic to appease the inhabitants, its operations have polluted the Awusu River, the main source of drinking water for the people.
A large stretch of arable land has also been destroyed, but that could not incur the wrath of the people either, as they continue to live at peace with the company.
That peaceful co-existence was, however, seriously affected when some of the X’tra Gold workers recently assaulted a prominent citizen of the town, who questioned some aspects of the company’s operations.a
As expected, that unfortunate incident broke the camel’s back, with the people making a strong agitation by demanding that X’tra Gold sink six boreholes for the town within a period of six months or wind up its activities.
To help defuse the emerging tension with the possibility of degenerating into hostilities, the chief of Kwabeng, Osabarima Darkwa Woe, who is also the Gyasehene of Akyem Abuakwa Traditional Area, together with his elders and some opinion leaders, toured the operational grounds of the company at the weekend for a first-hand information on the problem.
Osabarima Darkwa Woe was shocked at what he saw, especially the diversion of the polluted Awusu River and its tributaries, Obiri and Obeng, as well as the destruction of the landscape.
For that reason, he hurriedly summoned to his official residence at Kwabeng two top officials of the company, Messrs Kofi Agyemang and Michael Turkson, managers for exploration and mines respectively, for an amicable solution to the problem.
“As the chief of the town, I will not sit down for my people to drink contaminated water to contract all sorts of water-borne diseases such as bilharzia and skin diseases as is happening now, and the only thing I want for them is good drinking water,” Osabarima Darkwa Woe said in a tense mood.
The officials, who admitted that the demand of the chief was the ideal thing to do, said their company had already set aside GH¢70,000 for the construction of the clinic.
They, however, stated that it would be difficult for the company to sink the boreholes at the same time, taking into consideration the amount of money needed for the project.
That led to a heated argument during which the elders decided to advise themselves in a manner that would not be in the interest of the company.
In the heat of the argument, one of the citizens of the town, Alhaji Mustapha Boateng, decided to single-handedly fund the construction of the clinic so that X’tra Gold would be able to provide the six wells, at least, within the next six months, with constructional works starting within a fortnight.
Although both sides had agreed to co-operate in the interest of peace, all depended on how best X’tra Gold would honour its commitment to providing the boreholes.
This is because the continued use of water from the polluted Awusu River could increase the rate of bilharzia infection, which stood at 375 last year, as well as other water-related skin diseases, which would compel the people to possibly draw swords at X’tra Gold.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

ASIRIFI IS NDC ABUAKWA NORTH CANDIDATE (PAGE 17)

Story: A. Kofoya-Tetteh, New Tafo

THE National Democratic Congress (NDC) has elected Mr Simon Peter Asirifi as its parliamentary candidate for Abuakwa North in the Eastern Region.
Mr Asirifi, a 48-year-old accountant who was elected unopposed at New Tafo, was the party’s parliamentary candidate for the constituency in the 2004 elections but he lost to the New Patriotic Party (NPP) candidate, Mr J.B. Danquah Adu.
In his acceptance speech, Mr Asirifi said the NPP had failed to address the problems in the constituency, for which reason the people were determined to vote for the NDC to enable it to dislodge the NPP candidate at the December polls.
“The NPP has failed to address the difficulties facing the people in the constituency. They have, therefore, decided to throw their lot behind the NDC, which will definitely win the seat to improve the lot of the people”, he stated.
He, however, asked the rank and file of the NDC to work extra hard for a resounding victory at the polls.
Earlier, four regional executive members of the NDC — Mr Anthony Gyampo, Secretary; Mr Bismark Tawiah Boateng, Organiser; Mr Adu Gyamfi, Propaganda Secretary, and Mr Kwaku Asamoah, Youth Organiser — had taken turns to criticise the NPP for its inability to continue with the good works of the NDC after it handed over to the NPP in 2001.
Mr Gyampo asked the people to examine their living standards before casting their votes, adding that the economic situation had now worsened, to the extent that people could not even afford one square meal a day.
Mr Boateng said since an NPP victory in the December election would spell doom for the country, Ghanaians should rally behind the NDC to come back to power to continue with its good works which were abrogated when it lost the 2000 elections.







Both Messrs Gyamfi and Mr Asamoah advised the rank and file of the NDC, especially polling station chairmen, to be vigilant on polling day to make it impossible for the NPP to rig the elections.

Friday, February 22, 2008

2 GRANTED BAIL FOR CAUSING FIRE OUTBREAK (PAGE 21)

Story: A. Kofoya-Tetteh, Koforidua

TWO persons who are being tried at the Koforidua Circuit Court for allegedly causing fire outbreak at the Koforidua Central Market on January 27, 2008 have been granted GH¢5,000 bail each with a surety to be justified.
The two — Ebenezer Frimpong, a welder, and Kingsley Mensah, who had since been in prison custody after the incident — will re-appear before the court presided over by Mr Robert Adjei Djan on February 28.
When the case was called last Thursday, the counsel for the accused persons, Major J.S.K. Amissah (retd), pleaded with the court to grant his clients bail, since it was an unfortunate incident in which they themselves had their property burnt.
He said granting them bail would not interfere with investigations, which must be conducted on time for compensation to be paid because many people were aggrieved.
At an earlier sitting, the prosecutor, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) T.K. Nyadu, told the court that at about 5.30 p.m. on that fateful day, January 27, 2008, fire broke out at the Koforidua Central Market.
He said Frimpong had on that day, done some welding work on a shop at the market without putting in place safety measures, which possibly resulted in the fire outbreak that caused massive destruction in some parts of the market.
It would be recalled that fire gutted parts of the Koforidua Central Market on January 27, this year. that destroyed goods worth thousands of Ghana cedis.